If you want to keep your home clean during the spring, you need to adjust your cleaning routine slightly. Every season calls for a different approach to cleaning. With that being said, read on to discover ten of the best spring cleaning tips.
- Keep dirt outside – There is only one place to begin, and this is with keeping dirt outside. One of the most common mistakes people make is not investing in a mat for all of their external and internal entrances. You need to do this to make sure that unwanted debris and dirt do not end up in your home.
- Don’t forget about your light fittings – It is the ideal time of the year to give your lamps, lampshades, and lights some extra attention. These are areas of the home that are often overlooked when cleaning.
- Clean and test carbon monoxide alarms, smoke alarms, and the chimney – There is no denying that real fires and wood burners have become very popular in recent times. It is a good idea to get your chimney professionally cleaned. You want to make sure it is free of debris and dirt, as well as bird nests. It is also important to test your carbon monoxide alarms and smoke alarms to ensure that they are in good working order.
- Remove muddy paw and footprints – Spring can cause havoc for any homeowner, as paw prints and footprints tend to get traipsed through their property. It is advisable to use a steam mop as soon as possible when it comes to removing these prints from hard flooring. This is going to lift and get rid of the dirt, leaving the area gleaming.
- Clean curtains, upholstery, and bedding – Of course, you should clean your bedding every week – not just every season! However, you would be surprised at just the amount of dirt that your mattress can harbour. This is why it is vital to give your mattress a good clean. A suitable steam cleaner is the best way to go about this. Why? Because it will kill 99 per cent of the bacteria and dirt. It also removes dirt without chemicals being needed.
- Defrost the freezer – If you think about it, your freezer is one of the very few appliances that is being used all of the time. Therefore, you need to keep on top of freezer maintenance in order to keep it in good working order. If you do not have a self-defrosting model, the key to maintenance is to defrost your freezer.
- Get rid of all of the cobwebs – Spider season is well and truly upon us. Remove cobwebs from homes or apartments as soon as you notice them.
- Clean on top of the furniture and behind it too – When you run the vacuum around your property every week, do you move the sideboard, wardrobe, or couch out of the way so that you can clean behind? If not, you need to clean behind, underneath and on top of your furniture at least.
- Declutter your cupboards – We are all guilty of putting too many items in our cupboards – yes, we are referring to those items you don’t really need but you hold onto anyway. Well, these items end up creating clutter in your home.
- Wash your windows – Last but not least, make sure you wash your windows during the spring, otherwise, streaks will appear and they will look dirty because of the sporadic downpours.
Leave a Reply